Sunday 18 September 2011

"I'm not a businessman, I'm a business maaan"

So first of all, I have to give that title's credit to my friend, Hector. I have no clue who said it first, but he said it first to me, so he gets the shout out for making me laugh. I'm not even into business that much, but I realized that, indirectly, business is into me.

During elementary school, friends could be made so easily. You like blue? Me too. We're friends. You defend me from the boy trying to give me cooties. You're my hero. These days, friends are made selectively. That close intimate group of friends comprises of less than five people. Then there are friends of friends. Then come the friends who think you're they're friends, but you're not. You know what, chances are, they're pretending too. Let's call these associates.

Everyone in the business for themselves. In school, I cannot be friends with all 39 people in my class. Okay, I can, but not genuinely. I think subliminally, university and college has taught me to really watch the students around me. This is the generation I will be growing up with. One of the accounting students will be my accountant and control all my damn money. Some people in the human resources program may interview me for a job later on. I may need one of those engineering graduates to run the IT department in my future company.

Try to listen to people's dreams, their ambitions, their goals. The magic question to ask is "What can this person do for me?" It may seem cold-hearted or  fake, but chances are these days that the other person is thinking the exact same thing about you.

1 comment:

  1. This is exactly true. I do it all the time.
    J.

    ReplyDelete