Friday 28 December 2012

Then what?


So I'm sitting at the dinner table talking to my dad and sister about my future. I tell them how I'm so excited to be almost done school and that I just have to push and grind until April."Then what?" my sister asks. "Yeah, then what?" my dad pipes in. What do they mean by "then what"? Isn't that enough? Am I not prepared enough to go out into the real world and start making a living? My sister inquires, "So you're just going to work, then....come home?" Well yes, that's how grown people do it, except some of them actually go to a home of their own instead of back to their bedroom at their parents' house.

Education is important, it really is, but so is experience. How much experience can I get if I'm still at school? Yes, a Masters degree and a Doctorate looks pretty fancy on a resume, but that takes time. I feel like I've been in school forever, longer than forever. By April, I'll have a certificate, a diploma, and a degree. That sounds pretty good to me. Plus, I really think it depends on what field you're getting into. If I'm going to see a nurse, I'd appreciate it if he or she had a degree. If I need psychiatric help, I would hope that the person I am referred to has their Doctorate. If I'm going to watch the news, I would hope that the man or woman reporting to me has their degree, but also field experience of working in journalism.

People have different ideas on he working world. Some say when I start working, I'll miss school. Well, I've worked in the corporate world and I didn't miss school one bit. I guess that reverse psychology failed. So then what? Then I'm done. Of course, it couldn't hut to scope out some part-time graduate programs....

No comments:

Post a Comment