Sunday 6 January 2013

Can I get a copy of the "right track"?



There are certain steps that society as a whole has decided to follow. You're born, you go to kindergarten, continue into junior school and elementary school, then it's off to high school. So far so good? After that, things get a little confusing. Some people (with less strict parents) tend to have more options open. They can travel for a year, join the workforce right away, work to raise money to go to school, the list goes on. Post-secondary wise, people can go to university, college or a trade school to get a degree and/or diploma and/or certificate. 

Ugh, then they can get their masters or doctorate. The point is, there's a lot out there.

After school, or even during school, life starts. You have more responsibilities. When do these responsibilities start, though? When am I supposed to get married? When am I supposed to move out of my house? When am I supposed to have children? At what age should I be fully established in my career? 

Sure, the general answer is that everyone is different, everyone goes at their own pace. That's hard to grasp when in a group of friends, one is engaged, one is graduating from college, one is starting her masters, and the other is a grade school teacher; half of us no longer live at home...and we're all the same age. W-T-F, right? So how can we not compare ourselves to one another? This us actually one of those blog posts that doesn't have a neatly wrapped conclusion or heartwarming "feel good about yourself" final word. I honestly believe people feel this way into their early 30s. If we're happy doing what we're doing now, should we automatically think we're on the right? Or we just coasting? Settling because it feels comfy? 

I'll get back to you on this one when I actually figure it out. 

1 comment:

  1. I don't think anyone really figures this out...
    I've been having these same thoughts. "Where do I go from here?" kinda thoughts.

    ReplyDelete