Sunday 6 January 2013

There may be such thing as a dumb question



One of the most common questions people ask me when I say I go to York University, aside from "Doesn't that school have a sexual assault like every week?", is whether or not I know a friend of theirs. Seriously? 
Well of course I know John, and Jill, and Jane. Really? 

No. There are more than 50,000 students who go to York. Before even asking what program I'm in, people have legitimate hope that I know their friend. It's a commuter school. We only stay on campus as long as our classes last. My first class had 500 students in it. Late students had to sit on the steps. 

How does that question even make sense? I'm from Jamaica, so does that mean I should know your random Jamaican friend? Sound ridiculous yet?

I've actually heard of people who go on vacation, and when they tell people where they're from, the locals ask, "Oh, I have friend from Canada. Do you know so-and-so?" No, you know what, surprisingly, out of the more than 33 million people living in Canada, I actually don't know your friend. 

Surprised? Yeah, me too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment